by Anura Guruge
The cardinal creating consistory, on Saturday, November 20, 2010, in St. Peter’s Basilica will commence at 10:30 am Rome time.
Later that Saturday, between 4:30 and 6:30 pm, the newly created cardinals will be available for courtesy visits from the public. This is part of ‘modern’ consistory tradition.
Today, the Office of Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff, published where the 24 cardinals will stationed for these courtesy visits.
I am not sure whether the spots are allocated by lot, as is the case with accommodation for a conclave.
I doubt it. It is also indubitably true that some cardinals will attract more visitors than others — this being particularly true for the Italian cardinals, even more so if they have spent much time in Rome because of curial duties. The list definitely appears to indicate some level of prioritization.
A prime location, the ‘Regal Room’ (Sala Regia), an ornamental antechamber to the Sistine Chapel, has been allocated to Cardinals Ravisi and Amato — the two potential papabili in this crop. The ‘B-tier’ seem to be grouped together in the rambling Paul VI audience hall — with its new (2007) solar panel studded roof.
So here is the list, with my annotations for age, nationality and occupation.
PAUL VI HALL:
1) Jose Manuel Estepa Llaurens (84, Spain, Emeritus)
2) Kazimierz Nycz (60, Poland, Archbishop of Warsaw)
3) Raul Eduardo Vela Chiriboga (76, Ecuador, Emeritus)
4) Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya (71, Congo, Archbishop of Kinshasa)
5) Antonios Naguib (75, Egypt, Patriarch, Alexandria of the Copts)
6) Raymundo Damasceno Assis (73, Brazil, Archbishop of Aparecida)
1) Paolo Romeo (72, ITALY, Archbishop of Palermo)
2) Domenico Bartolucci (93, ITALY, Emeritus)
3) Elio Sgreccia (82, ITALY, Emeritus)
4) Donald William Wuerl (70, USA, Archbishop of Washington)
5) Reinhard Marx (57, Germany, Archbishop of Münich und Freising)
6) Medardo Joseph Mazombwe (79, Zambia, Emeritus)
7) Albert Malcolm Ranjith Patabendige Don (63, Sri Lanka, Archbishop of Colombo)
PALAZZO DELLA CANONICA – FABRIC OF ST. PETER’S:
1) Cardinal Walter Brandmuller (81, Germany, Emeritus)
1) Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi (68, ITALY, President, Pontifical Council for Culture)
2) Angelo Amato (72, ITALY, Prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints)
Hall of Blessings:
1) Cardinal Robert Sarah (65, Guinea, President of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum)
2) Francesco Monterisi (76, ITALY, Archpriest, Papal basilica of S. Paolo fouri le Mura)
3) Fortunato Baldelli (75, ITALY, Major Penitentiary)
4) Kurt Koch (60, Switzerland, President, Pontifical Council for the Promotion of Christian Unity)
5) Velasio De Paolis (75, ITALY, President, Prefecture for the Economic Affairs of the Holy See.)
6) Paolo Sardi (76, ITALY, Pro-Patron, Order of the Malta, Vice-Camerlengo)
1) Cardinal Mauro Piacenza (66, ITALY, Prefect, Congregation for the Clergy)
2) Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke (62, USA, Prefect, Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signature)