1. Contrary to CNN, by no means the first non-European pope. If I recall right, St. Peter (#1) was not born in Europe. But there were others too. Anicetus (#11) – Syria. Victor I (#14) – North Africa. Theodore I (#73) – Palestine. So this fallacy that he is the first non-European has to end.
2. First Jesuit. That is huge. Punctures the myth that Jesuits will always refuse to become pope because they prefer to serve a pope than be pope.
3. First Francis. Great name. Since we have had ‘John Paul’ in 1978 — this is not a big deal. But, it is the first, NEW non-twofold name since Lando (#122, 914).
4. Wonder when he decided on the name.
5. Absolutely ecstatic that he is noted for his modesty and humility. That will make such a huge difference. That he appeared without a Mozzetta was big. A non-vain pope. What a relief.
6. He is 76. Same age as was John XXIII (#262). That can’t be bad. But, an over 75 pope. I was RIGHT!